"Only in silence the word,
only in dark the light,
only in dying life:
bright the hawk's flight on the empty sky."
-The Creation of Ea

2/8/12

Warriors in the mist



  Meanwhile, the pirates called Kargs attacked the towns and villages in the area of Gont Island. When they approached the village of Ten Alders, residents began to flee and hide in the mountain cave. Only a few people stayed in the village, including my father, who did not want to leave his forge. When I saw the blow and thin fog floating above the path before the Kargs I came up with the idea to use a spell that I learned from an old weatherworker of the Vale. The spell was called fogweaving. The fog had thickened all over the village, suppressing the light, blurring the world till a man could hardly see his surroundings. Although the Kargs destroyed a large part of the village and killed several people, they started getting lost in the fog and falling into the abyss. Seeing the frightened Kargs getting lost in the fog, the villagers were able to chase them away. However, because of  keeping the fog for a long time I undermined my strength and got sick.
  As I was returning to health, a mysterious visitor came to the village. He was a well known Mage of Re Albi, Ogion the Silent, who declared that after the ceremony of giving me the name of the male, he could take me and keep as his apprentice. The day of my thirteenth birthday came and the ceremony of the Passage was held. The witch took my name, Duny, and nameless and naked I walked through the cold springs of the Ar and received my new name - Ged. Then I  packed the necessary things : a solid bronze knife my father had forged for me, a leather coat cut down to my size by the tanner's widow and an aldersrick my aunt had charmed for me. After that, now I am leaving the island of Gont with Ogion.





No comments:

Post a Comment