"Only in silence the word,
only in dark the light,
only in dying life:
bright the hawk's flight on the empty sky."
-The Creation of Ea

2/7/12

Others call me sparrowhawk


  One day, when I was seven, I heard my aunt (sister of my dead mother who lived in a village) crying out strange words to a disobey goat that didn't want to come down from the thatch of a hut. I found it very strange that my aunt wanted to oust the goat with words. Suddenly the goat jumped down when she cried a certain rhyme to it. That was incredible! Next day when I was herding the long haired goats on the meadows of High Fall I decided to shout the same words to them: "Noth hierth malk man hiolk han merth han!". The goats came to me very quickly without making any sound. I felt some feeling of power and began to laugh. After a while I felt afraid of their scary eyes, strange silence and ridged horns. I tried to run away from them but it wasn't easy. The villagers ran out of their houses and started to laugh at me. Only my aunt did not laugh and said some words to the goats so they began to behave normally. She took me to her hut where I had never been before because she never let any child enter there, and the children were scared of this place. So it was something new to me. Her hut was really strange. There were no windows and the room was fragrant with herbs. After asking me some questions about my deed, she probably found that I knew nothing and she looked at me differently. I guess that she saw that I must have had some makings of power in me, because after she praised me and  taught the  "real name" of a falcon, by which I could summon a wild bird, she said that she could teach me much more. As I was willing to learn and wanted it, she began to teach me. I quickly learned many words in the so-called ancient language. I only had to promise that I would not tell anyone about this. My aunt bounded my promise and tied my tongue until she chooses to unbind it. I can speak anyway but I can't say the words she teach me where another person can hear it. Now, as I have the knowledge of new spells, I like to walk in the high pastures with a bird of prey flying next to me. This is why others started to call me Sparrowhawk.

Picture from: 
http://houstonryan.deviantart.com/art/Female-Kestrel-SparrowHawk-60473467?q=boost%3Apopular%20sparrowhawk&qo=127

No comments:

Post a Comment