"Only in silence the word,
only in dark the light,
only in dying life:
bright the hawk's flight on the empty sky."
-The Creation of Ea

2/20/12

The School for Wizard

  Today, on the first day on Island of Roke I found the school for wizards. I could not enter the school until I gave the doorkeeper my true name. I wondered about this and stood for a while because man never speaks his own name aloud, until his life's safety is at stake. But finally I granted his condition and after a moment stepped inside. I felt strange as if a shadow followed me... I got to the open courtyard. I stood still with my heart beating hard because it seemed to me that I felt some inherency and strong unseen powers in that place which was not built only of stone, but also of magic. I saw Archmage Nemmerle across the fountain and suddenly, I experienced a moment of enlightenment where it seemed like the birds and the water in the fountain were talking to me. Archmage Nemmerle took me to the ranks of students and awakened in me a feeling of confidence in me. I read the Ogion's letter to Nemmerle, which said that I, from the Island of Gont, will be the greatest wizard. I was surprised and mobilized to work harder to the words of my old teacher. When the archmage asked me about whose volition took me there and I replied that mine he mumbled to himself and I suddenly felt as alone among shadows as in a desert. His raven interrupted his behavior, looked at me askance and croaked words that could be the language of Osskil. I got a tour from an older student named Jasper who seemed like he was mocking me, so I acted rudely back. He was so snooty! This drove me crazy. Hopefully Jasper took me to sit with a heavyset fellow called Vetch who had the accent of the East Reach, and had a very dark skin unlike me and Jasper. I felt a certain liking for him and it was nice to stay in his company. 
  After becoming accustomed to the school and the environment, Jasper and Vetch demonstrated their illusions on the Roke Knoll to me. I was impressed by their magic. But when Jasper asked me to do some Gontish magic I became confused. I couldn't do illusions like theirs. I knew only some casual and common village witchery like spells used to call goats, or mending pots. To avoid ridiculing I pretended to be above such silly illusions. Jasper derided me and since that I felt like a fool I really started to hate him. At night I was dread by the strangeness of the place and I could not sleep. Fortunately, Now Vetch came to me and after talking with him I felt that the friendship, offered and given by him, I really want to return.

Pictures from:
1. http://zsoltkosa.deviantart.com/art/I-see-you-155241523?q=boost%3Apopular%20raven%20wizard&qo=14
2.http://benheine.deviantart.com/art/Castle-of-Beynac-2-173716945?q=boost%3Apopular%20middle%20age%20village&qo=6

No comments:

Post a Comment